COLUMBUS, OH – Dr. Shandra Day, an infectious disease physician at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, shares six tips to protect yourself from mosquitoes this summer season:
- Use an EPA-registered insect repellent: Repellents with DEET are highly effective, but there are alternatives with ingredients like picaridin and oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- Wear clothing treated with an insecticide: Permethrin-treated clothing can kill or repel mosquitoes. You can usually find permethrin in outdoor stores.
- Make sure door and window screens are intact: Check all door and window screens and repair any holes to prevent mosquitoes from getting inside your home.
- Use air conditioning.
- Remove standing water around your home: Look for areas where mosquitoes can lay eggs and breed. At least once a week, disturb and clean areas of standing water to prevent eggs from hatching.
- Place netting over cribs, strollers and car seats: Children 2 months and younger cannot use insect repellent.